midwest.tech allows investors and for entrepreneurs to learn about each other and be connected.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The GDPR is an EU Regulation to improve the protection of the personal data of EU citizens and increase the obligations of organizations who collect or process personal data. These new regulations take effect on the 25th of May 2018. The regulations greatly enhance the data privacy and security of our customers and extend to them exercisable rights enabling greater control over one's personally identifiable information. The full specification of the GDPR rights and regulations can be found here. midwest.tech functions as both a controller and processor of our customers' personally identifiable information (PII). Additionally, we employ a number of sub-processors to which we transmit data for storage or processing beyond feature sets under our immediate control. As a controller of data, we store PII such as customer names, email addresses, town/city, state and IP addresses. We use databases through GDPR compliant service providers (Airtable, Google Sheets) to store sensitive customer data. midwest.tech is also a processor of customer data. We use customer data to facilitate investment-related matchmaking services. Sub-processors are leveraged by midwest.tech systems for purposes of financial transaction execution (Eventbrite), internal analytics, and system monitoring. We have a system-wide GDPR compliance effort underway which will manifest itself on the core midwest.tech site and any other owned properties. For more information, please see our GDPR documentation or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to exercise your personal data access rights.
It does not apply to the interactions that you have with any other individual, entity, investor or other group through midwest.tech. For example, a founder, venture capitalist or angel investor may disclose or share with other members of their team, firm or group (respectively) any information that you submit to them via midwest.tech.
midwest.tech has no control over this disclosure or sharing, and is not responsible for it.
• On midwest.tech; and
• In e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and midwest.tech, on midwest.tech or otherwise;
It does not apply to information collected by:
• Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Sandalphon Capital or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
• Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on midwest.tech.
What is “personal data”?
"Personal data" is any data that (1) is recorded in any form, (2) is about or pertains to a specific individual and (3) can be linked to that individual. For example, and without limitation, your first and last names, address, email address, other contact information, and the information provided via form submission are "personal data."
What kind of personal data is collected?
We collect personal data at different stages of your use of midwest.tech.
When you visit midwest.tech
If you visit midwest.tech we collect your IP address, the location of your Internet Service Provider, the type and version of Internet browser that you are using, and the website from which you came. We also collect information regarding your site usage, such as the time spent on a page and the number of pages you viewed.
When you submit an application
If you are classified as an Investor, while your Organization’s name may be named publicly, no investor information will be publicly disclosed. Your name, title, organization name and website will be shared with founders that you have opted in to meet with.
When you interact with midwest.tech
We also collect personal data that you provide when you interact with midwest.tech such as, for example, by joining our email distribution list, sending a message or uploading documents, preparing an application, or when exchanging correspondence with us such as through support emails.
How is personal data collected?
For what purpose will my personal data be used?
midwest.tech uses your personal data to maintain your account and to provide you with the group and deal-flow management and other services offered on midwest.tech. We also use your personal data to respond to requests that you make of us, and to contact you and to provide you with information that we believe may be of interest to you.We may also use your name and contact information to make queries to social networking and other sites, such as LinkedIn, for a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, verifying your identity, and showing you how you are linked or connected to other individuals who are also midwest.tech users.Your personal data may also be shared with companies in the midwest.tech family of companies or to third parties as described below.
Can third parties see my personal data?
• If you are an investor - midwest.tech allows the Organization Administrator of an Organization the ability to set certain settings in the profile of the members of the Organization . Thus, for each Organization, the Administrator decides which information is available for access or review by entrepreneurs and/or other Organizations, and which information is not to be disclosed, or is disclosed to selected entrepreneurs and/or other Organizations, according to the policies of the Organization. Please note that (1) the default settings that are set by an Organization Administrator may change from time to time; (2) each Organization may opt for different default settings. While midwest.tech includes initial defaults, midwest.tech has no control over the choice of a setting or the change in a default setting by an Organization’s Administrator.
• If you are an entrepreneur- If you are an entrepreneur and you have posted or uploaded information about you and/or your team, this information is disclosed to the Organizations to whom you have chosen to disclose the information. Additionally, if you begin an accelerator application, your Basic Application Information will be disclosed to such accelerator, regardless of your designation, unless you opt out. The disclosure of Basic Application Information will occur regardless of whether you complete the accelerator application.
With whom may midwest.tech share personal data? Under certain business or legal conditions, midwest.tech may have to disclose your personal data to others as follows:• Within the midwest.tech Family– midwest.tech may now or in the future have a parent, subsidiary or related company or companies within the midwest.tech family of companies. midwest.tech has the right to share all personal data with all such affiliated companies.
• Service Providers - midwest.tech may engage other companies and individuals to perform necessary business functions on behalf of midwest.tech (e.g. customer service or email provider). If it is necessary to perform these functions, these companies or individuals may have access to personal data of our users. These service providers have agreed not to use the personal data for any other purpose other than providing the required services.
• Legally Required Disclosure -Under certain circumstances, disclosure of your personal data may be required by law. midwest.tech may disclose your personal data (1) if, in its own best judgment, it is required by law to do so in order to comply with a facially valid judicial or governmental subpoena, warrant, bankruptcy proceedings, or other order, or (2) to a government institution that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information, or (3) when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud.
Can I access or change my personal data?
Upon request midwest.tech will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. If your personal data changes, you may correct, update, or amend by making the change on our member information page or by emailing our Customer Support at email@example.com or by contacting us by postal mail at the contact information listed below. If you wish to delete/remove/deactivate your submission or opt out of sharing your Application Information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request within 30 days.
Data RetentionWe will retain your information for as long as your account is active to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.For auditing and security purposes, midwest.tech keeps a log of all users' activities, which is retained in its archives as necessary for midwest.tech to fulfill its obligations. Users may have access to the personal data that pertain to them. However, because the administrative and technical burden associated with the retrieval of these archived data is substantial, midwest.tech charges a fee for this effort in a manner that is consistent with its actual cost. In addition, each user's right of access may be limited to the extent that providing access might infringe on a third party's privacy rights. Requests for access to this archived information are handled on a case-by-case basis, after midwest.tech has verified the identity of the requestor. Inquiries should be made as provided in the section.
Can I have my personal data deleted?
You may request we delete any personal data that is recorded in the submission that you provided for yourself as an investor or for your company, or as an entrepreneur by emailing email@example.com.
Social Media Widgets
What is Aggregated Data, and how is it used?
Data aggregation is a process in which information is gathered and expressed in a summary form for purposes such as statistical analysis, in order to obtain information about a particular group based on specific variables. Data used for aggregation purposes are collected in a form that removes all identifiers, and may be combined with other data for which all identifiers have also been removed. midwest.tech uses aggregated data to generate accurate metrics about the early stage technology industry. Aggregated data are packaged and licensed to third parties such as governments, economic development agencies and financial institutions. Examples of aggregated data may include:
• Data about the early equity space, such as number of startups at various generic stages of the development process.
• Data about industries and geographies related to companies seeking investors.
What is Website Data, and how is it used? Website data is aggregated data about the overall traffic to, and usage of midwest.tech. Examples include the number of visitors to the midwest.tech website and the number of users of midwest.tech. midwest.tech may extract and use website data for internal purposes, in order to analyze the performance of midwest.tech and applications. For example, we may use these data for traffic analysis and business decision making, in order to determine how we can improve our site or its functionalities. The statistics generated in this manner contain no personal data and cannot be used to gather any information about individual visitors to the site.
Cookies and other Tracking Technologies
• Cookies midwest.tech uses 'cookies.' A cookie is a small amount of data sent to a user's web browser from a web server, which is then stored on the user's hard drive. Cookies are used to make site navigation easier, and can help recognize a returning visitor. midwest.tech's cookies do not generate any personal data, do not read personal data from your computer, and are not tied to any personal data. Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by editing its options, to stop accepting cookies, or to prompt you before accepting cookies from the sites that you visit. If you decide not to accept our cookies, some or all features of the site may not be available because navigation on the site is facilitated by cookies. You can delete cookies from your computer at any time. You can learn more about cookies by visiting: http://www.allaboutcookies.org or www.networkadvertising.org .
• Action Tags midwest.tech uses action tags. An action tag is a small piece of code that is placed on a webpage or in an email in order to track the pages viewed or the messages opened, the date and time when someone visited our website, the website from which the visitor came, the type of browser used, and the domain name and address of the user's Internet Service Provider. Action tags allow us to better understand how users and visitors use our site or browse through our pages, so that we can improve access to and navigation through the site, add or modify pages, according to our user's patterns. Action tags cannot be removed or deleted by our users, because they are part of the programming of a webpage.
• Log Files Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you access a web page. When you use midwest.tech, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends out whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, IP address, browser type, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.) and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other similar information.
• Do Not Track Signals midwest.tech does not track or use Do Not Track signals.
What security measures are in place to protect my personal data?
midwest.tech uses physical, technical, and administrative procedures in order to safeguard and protect personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. However, while we do our best to implement reasonable security measures, we do not guarantee that our safeguards will always work. midwest.tech uses industry-standard technological means to protect your personal data while in transit through the Internet. We use encryption and a comprehensive authentication protocol to provide reasonable security. However, please remember that no security system on the Internet is perfect. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What about Uploaded Documents?
Documents that are uploaded to midwest.tech for sharing are stored at a third party data-storage service. All uploads and downloads are transmitted through the web between users and the data storage service using the same encryption techniques as those that are used with personal data. However, uploaded documents are neither stored redundantly, nor backed up. Therefore, we recommend that midwest.tech users keep back-up copies of their documents if they upload them to the midwest.tech.
When will midwest.tech contact me?
Links to other websites
midwest.tech may provide links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of these sites. In order to safeguard your privacy, please review the privacy policies of any sites that you may visit before providing any personal data to these third party sites.
Limitation of Liability
midwest.tech exercises reasonable efforts to safeguard the security and confidentiality of your personal data; however, transmissions protected by industry standard technology and administered by humans cannot be guaranteed to be secure. midwest.tech will not be liable for unauthorized disclosure of personal data that occurs through no fault of midwest.tech including, but not limited to, errors in transmission, access to your account by anyone who uses your email user ID and password, your failure to comply with your security obligations, and the unauthorized acts of midwest.tech's employees.
Effective Date: July 21, 2020